Sunday, February 6, 2011

Yeah, we did that!

You know you're a "cool" teacher when your students ask you to do awesome things with them.

Example: Repelling with ROTC.
Teaching Algebra II verses any of the other math classes means I am teaching the older kids. I don't interact much with freshmen and sophomores and I kind of like it that way. The juniors and seniors have established themselves as role models and leaders across the campus and in various areas of study. They are not the puny little wimps getting yelled at for not doing something right. They're the ones doing the yelling.

They have more responsibilities and therefore, for the most part, are more reliable people. This last semester I had most of the commanding officers in the JROTC in my classes, including the top student leader for our school. Needless to say, these students are some of my highest achieving students in my classes (and they don't usually complain when they have to do work which is very nice.)

Anyway, several weeks ago these students randomly asked if I'd like to go repelling with the JROTC. It was part of this weekend camp the group was having and they thought I might like to join them. Not for the whole weekend but for the repelling Saturday morning. It took me about .0003 seconds to answer them. Heck, yes! But more than me loving it I knew Josh would jump on the the opportunity.

So early one Saturday morning in back in January, Josh and I and a couple of our friends went and literally, jumped off the side of a cliff.

This is where it all went down:


We're harnessed in a ready to go.

A view from the top.

Almost time!


Down we go






Did I mention that I was the only teacher invited? There were no other school staff members there expect those that work with ROTC on a regular basis. Yeah, I'm pretty cool.

1 comment:

  1. Haha that's so cool! Your THAT teacher that kids actually want to be with outside of the classroom...quite an accomplishment! They must really like you, cuz I know that I never invited any of my teachers to do stuff with me outside of class

    ReplyDelete